Wednesday, May 4, 2011

100 plus pounds for 100 plus pounds

No break to re coupe after wood siding.....we have hit the ground running and the will to finish the exterior siding has put us in a motivate drive to work. 

I have three exterior siding finishes:

1: Cedar tongue and groove wood. 
2: 4 ft. x 9 ft. Hardi panels.
3: 4 ft. x 8 ft raw steel panels.

These hardi panels are basically sheets of 1/4" concrete.  They are extremely durable for weather resistance and I salvaged them at my favorite salvage store cutting the costs of purchasing them in half. Yippy!  However, they easily weigh 100 lbs + I myself weigh 115 lbs so in the event that we happen to drop a full panel on me I will no longer be posted our progress.  Just kidding...not really funny because we are doing death defying acrobatic work but it's mostly a balancing act.  Well, if you have a husband who is a super hero like my husband then it's mostly a balancing act.  Someone does have to slump the panel up the ladder.......... We started with the street front, surprisingly we are already to the south side of the building.  Its so much faster then each little 6 inch board when your hanging panels 9 feet high.  There are these metal track pieces that frame each panel so water can't penetrate to the sheeting.  Each metal trim has to be cut and screwed into place but after a final coat of paint this material won't have to be touched up for 30 to 50 years.  I'm thinking the paint will need a little touch up during that time but the material seems stronger than ever!


We did a little recap of hanging the panels, there was no way I was going to worry about setting up the camera and running to get a shot of us trying to hang the real deals.




No comments:

Post a Comment